Switch up your routine to see lots of improvements

As most runners know, we are a group that is very strict on routine. Most people have their specific long run days, a lot of people have their speed work and hill days, we wear our "lucky clothes" to races, we eat the same things before each race or run, we take specific calculated days off, we have specific playlists on our music player for certain runs, etc. There are times though when it's good to make a change. It really can benefit you.


I am a person that follows trends in the running world. I love gadgets. Even though I don't own a lot of them, by a lot of peoples standards, I love them. Computers, phones, iPhones/iPod/iPads, watches, GPS's. You name it. I probably own one or know something about it. With all of the technology around us most people have either a cell phone or iPod (or equivalent) that we take with us on runs. Recently when I ran in the 20k Dam To Dam I decided not to take my iPod with me. I really hadn't been training with it so I didn't want to mess up my routine. I noticed though that almost everyone had something in their ears. I don't know why this shocked me but it really did. The friend that I was running with had his and it almost annoyed me. Even though we had decided ahead of time that we would run together he said that he would keep it at a low enough volume that we could still have a conversation. Is this really what we've come to? We become so accustomed to having this constant distraction that we have to have it on even when we are having a conversation?

I have posted before that there have been times when I've forgotten to charge my iPod or my watch and thought the world could potentially end during my run. Come to find out you actually end up using more of your senses to enjoy the run. I've known people that will flat out cancel a run because their iPod battery is too low just can't imagine running without it. I've driven past 2 people, that I can assume were a couple, that both had theirs with them. I've even seen a guy during a race that was wearing 2 iPods (one on each arm) and when asked why he had 2 explained that it was in case the battery ran out on his first. Huh???

My wife recently realized though how nice it is though to get out and enjoy her run when she doesn't have something on her ears (she hates earbuds so I can't say in her ears). Once again, my iPod wasn't charged and she doesn't have a running case for her iPod Touch. She knew that she wanted to go for a run so she headed out without anything. She came back a little different. She looked more relaxed and said that she actually enjoyed not having it and hasn't run with one since.

Now, don't label me as a hypocrite because I can certainly understand the psychological effects of having the music in your ears. From time to time I do run with mine. These are the days when I've had a bad day and need to have a little heavy metal in my ears or running in an area that I know I won't get attacked by a dog or run down by a car. The majority of the time though I don't take it with me (primarily for safety reasons due to where I run). Plus, a lot more USATF races are "banning" the use of music players or disqualifying runners who are caught with one because of the safety problems that can arise. A lot of times disqualifications are empty threats that never amount to anything, but still a possibility none the less.

As you prep for your next race, run, walk, jog or whatever you do, consider leaving breaking your routine. Leave the music turned off or leave all technology at home. Strip down the stuff that you take with you. The first couple of times you may find it much more difficult because you are used to having it with you, but try it. You may end up enjoying it a lot more.

On my running front, things are starting to pick up again. I obviously need to get more long runs in, but with more and more things invading our weekends it is getting much more difficult. The weather hasn't made it easy either with either heat advisories or severe thunderstorms (welcome to weather in the Mid-West). It has been quite challenging but I continue to stay focused on training for another ultra later this year or next spring. More to come on that in the future. Until next time.

Stay Strong, Run Long
Tha Messenjah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raccoon River Valley Round FKT

THE HILLS ARE ALIVE WITH THE SOUND OF MUD SQUISHING UNDER MY FEET...My 2016 Booneville Backroads 100 Mile Race Report

29:20...My 2017 Booneville Backroads 100