A letter to all of my cyclist friends

This morning I decided to go on a different route than I normally run. I am the type of person that needs variety in my runs. Whether it be speed work, hill repeats, long runs, trail runs, treadmill, etc. I decided to go on what most people consider to be a bike trail. The Des Moines area has a very nice trail system for paved biking trails. It is primarily used for biking, but because of the straight line with no hills it does attract runners and walkers as well.

I have run this trail many times. It is gorgeous this time of year because the North side of the trail is open fields of corn or beans and the South side of the trail is a highway. There is always a very nice, but sometimes tough, breeze that goes through and helps to keep you cool. I went out this morning at around 5:00 AM. I took my headlamp, as I always do on my early morning runs, for two reasons: 1) For my own safety to be able to see where I am going 2) So that others that may be using the trail at the same time will be able to see me. I feel that this is a very nice courtesy as I have encountered people who are not so courteous.

I was about 2 miles in when I met my first group of cyclists. Now, if you know me you know that I am a HUGE fan of Brooks Running, their shoes, clothes and their motto of "Run Happy". I love this motto because sometimes even though you are having a terrible run it is important to "Run Happy" because some day you may not be able to. As I do everytime I am out, be it on the highway or trails, I always waive or say hello or say good morning to everyone. I feel that this is a nice way to acknowledge the other person and in some cases make them realize that I am not a threat.

Since it was dark and they wouldn't be able to see a waive, I extended the "Good morning" to this group. There response? "...". Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. I thought to myself, "OK, maybe they were just training really hard and were out of breath". Oh how wrong I was. The next group comes up. This was a group of 4 people so I thought I would get one person to give me a simple greeting. Again I used the "Good Morning" and got no response. This went on for the next 5 more groups and individuals totaling probably 20 people before I got my first, "hey". How is this possible? Iowans are supposed to be extremly friendly, kind and courteous. How can I come in contact with 20+ people before I get 1 person to say anything to me?

I was out for a little over 1 hour and "met" nearly 40 people and got 2 people to even acknowledge me. 2!!!!! I even had one group of 3 that was so hell bent on riding directly next to each other that they were three wide on the trail and almost ran into me (even though I was on the shoulder of the trail). One guy though at the end of my run came riding up behind me, said "On your left" and even had a conversation with me. We talked briefly how nice the weather was, how great it was to be outside and gave the other person the "Have a great rest of your ride/Have a great rest of your run". This was the last person that I came in contact with and the whole situation ruined what was supposed to be a great run for me.

Now, to my plea to all cyclists out there. I know a lot of you. I have a lot of friends who are avid cyclists and tri-athletes. I know that as cycling becomes more and more popular there are a lot more people that are riding/training on the road and on the trails. I am not a biker. I probably never will be. I enjoy riding a bike, but wouldn't consider it as my favorite form of exercise or recreation. But just as you encourage motorists to "Share the Road", I am begging you to just be nice to other people. I understand that not everyone is as happy as I am to be outside running or exercising, but how difficult is it to simply say "hello" or "hey" during an exhale. Just because your bike costs more than my house payment for 2 months doesn't mean that I don't have just as much of a right to be on this trail. Just because you wear spandex to make you more aerodynamic and I just wear shorts and shoes doesn't mean that you are more of a priviledged athlete than I am (granted most of you probably are). Just because you can go twice as fast as me doesn't mean that you have to zip past me at top speed. Don't think that you own the trail or the road. I train just as hard as a lot of you do and I always say hello or waive at everyone that I meet.

I am not trying to come across as some pompous person, I am pleading you to just be a nice person. I realize that some people get really focused and are "in the zone", but if you see someone on the trail ahead of you, going the same direction, give them a heads up that you are behind them. If you see someone coming toward you, give a simple "hey". Who knows, that person may be having one of the worst days of their life and that simple act may prop up their spirit (or they also could be the person writing this blog).

Stay Strong, Run Long
Tha Messenjah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raccoon River Valley Round FKT

THE HILLS ARE ALIVE WITH THE SOUND OF MUD SQUISHING UNDER MY FEET...My 2016 Booneville Backroads 100 Mile Race Report

29:20...My 2017 Booneville Backroads 100