Thoughts on the run

Hello all,
Today I decided that I was going to get a real worthwhile run in. I wanted to do 10 since that would be the longest in the last couple of months. OUCH!!! I have done a couple longer runs 7-9 miles, but hadn't broken the double digits lately. I made sure to check the weather this morning before I left so I knew what lied ahead. Meterologist Jeriann said "Cold." Dang It!!! Why on the day that I decide to take a longer lunch and do a long run does she have to say stuff like that. I threw a long sleeve t in my bag and headed off to work. While I was at work all I could think about was fueling properly before I went. I had a great amount of water, a good breakfast and an apple about an hour before heading out. I also decided that I was going to take a different route, monotony kills your sense of adventure when running. I also decided that I that I was going to do something that I hadn't done in a while, take my iPod.

There are a couple of reasons why I haven't run with my iPod in a while. 1) The people in my running group hate them. 2) The left channel (left ear) doesn't work. It has been difficult to listen to because you find yourself tilting your head to the right almost like your head is heavier. I know weird. 

When I was getting ready it was time to make that all important decision of what to listen to. When I was training for the marathons it was podcasts all the way so I went with what worked in the past. This time it was the "Daily Audio Bible" (found on iTunes or on their website Daily Audio Bible. Right now in the New Testament I am in the book of Acts. I was listening to Brian (the host) read the excerpts about Paul and what he suffered in the name of Jesus. He went through so much just to spread the good word of Jesus. Today it talked about the severe beatings he took because he wouldn't surrender his beliefs. It made me wonder, what would I do if put in that situation? Being a saved person and realizing what Jesus went through for me, I would say that I believe and take my punishment, but who knows what would really happen if put into that situation. That thought breaks my heart. Am I that selfish that I would deny my Saviour to save my life?

After I listened to a couple of the lessons I decided to listen to some music that might bring back to life the importance of my faith. I turned on a great group, Flyleaf, and heard a song that I love that took on a little bit more meaning. The song is called "Cassie" and is about a girl that attended Columbine High in Colorado and was one of the people who lost her life when those maniacs terrorized the school. Here are the lyrics:
The question asked in order
To save her life or take it
The answer no to avoid death
The answer yes would make it

Do you believe in God
Written on a bullet
Say yes to pull the trigger
Do you believe in God
Written on a bullet
And Cassie pulled the trigger

All head bowed in silence
To remember her last sentence
She answered knowing what would happen
Her last words still hanging in the air

Do you believe in God
Written on a bullet
Say yes to pull the trigger
Do you believe in God
Written on a bullet
And Cassie pulled the trigger

This is a truly amazing story and there have been some things posted on-line that have disputed whether or not she said it or if it was even her that answered the question, but a better question would be would you answer yes? There are people that are faced with this question everyday in far regions of the world and given a chance to save their lives and they say no. I am here to say give me the bullet.

After all of this it made me realize that even though I am suffering during a run there are millions of people around the world that are suffering far worse than I am. I can complain about how my legs hurt until I am blue in the face but when I am faced with this question I hope that the suffering of my saviour will pour out of my face in honor of him. 

That's it for now. Stay Strong, Run Long
Tha Messenjah

Comments

Sockrma18 said…
AWESOME...I sure hope I'd say YES too. It's horrifying to think that you never know until you are faced with the question. God knows the answer in our hearts though...as long as we live for Him that faith and belief that we will in deed say yes will grow. Great post, Brad.

Popular posts from this blog

Raccoon River Valley Round FKT

29:20...My 2017 Booneville Backroads 100

THE HILLS ARE ALIVE WITH THE SOUND OF MUD SQUISHING UNDER MY FEET...My 2016 Booneville Backroads 100 Mile Race Report