Miles for Nile and Equalizer Endurance Run 2013

A full life can not be measured by the stuff you accumulate over your short time on this earth, but can only be measured by the experiences that you encounter during that time.

***This was written nearly 4 months ago and never published. I am finally happy enough with it to publish***

This past weekend was one of those that I won't soon forget.

About 10 weeks ago my outlook on life indirectly took a detour that I was truly not expecting. It was a truly normal day. I was at work and was checking Facebook when I saw this from one of our good friends...


What???? Blank Children's Hospital.......Leukemia.....CANCER????? What????

When you see this you go through an instant state of panic, hysteria, questioning. Everything. Do I call? Do I text? Do I leave them alone? These people are your oldest friends, call. But, what if they don't want you to call? What are you doing? You need to text them. You need to figure out what is going on.

A few days went by and numerous test were done on Nile. A 20 month old child being poked and prodded to no end. It was determined that he had Langerhans Cell Histicytosis (LCH for short). For all intents and purposes even though some doctors don't agree, cancer. Cancer. A 20 month old with an incredibly rare form of cancer. How does this even happen? At that moment I knew that something had to be done. I didn't know what I was going to do, but I was going to do something.

As usual I was out for a run when I had a great idea. I was planning on running a portion of the Equalizer Endurance Run in Des Moines anyway, so why not run it for a purpose. As our friends were in fragile state, I didn't want to bring it up too early. I thought about it for days before finally making the commitment and just putting it out there. I told Mrs. Messenjah what the plan was and that I was going to run for 24 hours and shoot for 100 miles to raise money for something I was going to call Miles for Nile. If you are anything like me, you've had a lot of big ideas that have fallen through the cracks. I knew though that this couldn't be one of those events. The two problems at this point?

  1. I have never run 100 miles
  2. I enjoy sleeping and how was I going to stay awake for 24 hours?

Long story short, the family agreed that they would support the endeavor any way they could. I made the decision to try and raise $10,000. We threw the page out on GoFundMe.com just to see what would happen. Before I knew it. $50. $100. $300. $1,000 raised within just a matter of days. We might actually be able to do this!!!

I chose this picture of him because it embodies him. Hawkeye fan, barf :), and a fighter. Come on...he looks like he belongs in "300"


I won't go into many of the details of my training but let me just say that there was a lot of running the same 4 mile lap around my house and countless hours on my treadmill just to train my brain for the boredom of the 54 laps around the 1.905 mile lake that I was about to endure.

The weeks went by and our donation numbers would stall for a day or two and then we'd get a few dollars here and there. Being a race director, I know that you don't get most of your entrants until very close to the date so I wasn't getting too concerned. One evening while I was at a packet pickup for another race, I got a strange text from Nile's dad. He was wondering if I would be interested in doing a news story for the event. This was it! This was going to be what got us to our goal!!!

We continued to stay in touch about the interview and the donations kept creeping towards the $10,000 goal. People were starting to get very excited about throwing their support behind the event. People kept sending me messages that they would be donating $1 per mile with the anticipation that I would hit the 100 mile mark and they had absolute confidence that I was going to hit the 100, but I wasn't so confident.

If you ask most people, they will tell you that I'm a pretty confident person. I've done a lot of things in my life to overcome adversity. When I was 17 years old I had a stroke. I overheard one of the doctors during my time in the hospital say that he was sure I wouldn't speak correctly again. They didn't know how the stroke would affect my ability to walk, talk or think. There were a lot of questions because of the magnitude of what happened and a lot of things that couldn't be answered. My faith and my drive to get better brought me through. After college, I was fat. Most of you know the story so I won't go back through it, but I fought and here I am. 120 lbs lighter and a runner. But what was ahead of me was the most challenging thing I had ever signed up to do. But this was bigger than me. It was no longer about me.

A week before the race I got an email from the news anchor that had caught wind of Nile's story and what I was about to attempt. We met at Gray's Lake, had a great conversation, got video of my running and that was it. I went back to work. No real indication of when it would air or anything. It was out of my hands now.

As the days got closer, I took a lot of time just to heal and prepare. I got some great nights of sleep, ate way too many carbs, and drank so much water I thought my eye balls were going to explode. I was praying every single night for healing. I was dealing with plantar fascaitis in one foot and an Achilles strain in the other. My ankle hurt but honestly no pain that I was dealing with is anything like what this family was dealing with. I prayed...A LOT...this week for healing and to just be able to do what I was hoping to do. I had told a lot of people that this thing was going on and I needed  to make it happen. On Thursday, everything changed.

We weren't sure when the news story was going to air. We were told at some point later in the week but a date wasn't nailed down. Having studied journalism for a few years in college you get to understand how much effort it takes to put a story together and what it's like when your story gets cut for time or space but we really wanted this story to get aired. Not because we needed to bring attention to me, but because of what this family is going through and has gone through in the past. I was in meetings for most of the morning that Thursday so I wasn't checking the news, facebook, emails or texts but when I got back something had happened. I had 10 emails, 20 notifications on Facebook and 4 or 5 text messages all telling me that they saw something about me on the news. Within 1 hour we had nearly $600 pledged to put us way over our goal. We...did it and the money keeps coming in.

The next 2 days were kind of a blur with people texting me and Facebooking me about how excited they were that I was doing this. How cool it was to see a classmate on the news and that sort of thing but learning what I have in the last couple of years I had to turn off the pride and stay humble. This run wasn't about me. It's about a little boy that, to this day, is still sitting in a hospital room fighting just to feel better. It's about a mom who has sat in the hospital every day since this thing started watching her youngest child fight and scream because he doesn't want anyone to mess with him. It's about a dad that has been forced to go back to work in order to provide for his family. It's about a brother and a sister that, because of the potential for infection, have only been able to see their baby brother a few times in 2 months. It's about them....not me. And that is a really hard thing to tell yourself when you've gotten a lot of really positive comments thrown your way.

In this post, I have purposefully left off a lot of the treatments that Nile has been going through. Not because I don't understand them or because they are graphic, but the treatments and this journey is a very private one for this family and I don't want to give too much insight that they may not want shared.  I can, however, provide you with the link his CaringBridge page where you can read for yourself a lot of the information about the disease and some of the things he and the family have been going through
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/nilemorris

Part 2....The Equalizer Endurance Run (race report)


I have to say that I’ve started and stopped this post about 45 times in the last 4 months. Not because I didn’t know what to write, but because I want to write it right. There is a thing about writing that people don’t know. It kind of sucks sometimes. Writing is easy when an event or review of something is easy. The words can just come off your fingertips so effortlessly. Other times you just have to sit and think. I have been doing that a lot lately…just thinking.

4 months ago I set out on one of the craziest adventures of my life. I’ve done fundraisers in the past. That’s not a problem. Promoting things is something that I’m good at because I’m persistent. If I have a goal, I don’t give up easily. Miles for Nile was a BIG leap because not only was I helping some of our very good friends, I had a lot of attention on this one. What if I fail? What if I don’t raise the money? What if I can’t make it past 50 miles? What if…what if…what if?

I’ve already posted a lot of the stuff about the fundraiser, so I won’t get into that. The raising money thing turned out pretty awesome. A lot of people made some big donations and we were able to raise almost $14,000. Now, I don’t make a lot of money so $14k is quite a bit. With that amount of money you can buy a fully loaded 2014 Ford Fiesta…Big Pimpin’… J

What I kept telling myself leading up to the Equalizer was that raising the money was going to be the hardest part and that turned out to be a rousing success. I was on the news. I was all over peoples Facebook accounts. I was trying to stay humble but a lot of people were “liking” my comments, sending me messages, emailing me, calling. Everything. I don’t know if you are like me, but attention felt good.

Race day comes up and I kept telling myself “I’ve done 63 miles in 14 hours 45 minutes on some incredibly technical trails. I can do 100 miles on a paved bike path in 24 hours. I got this!” but little did I know, God was going to use this race to humble me more than I have been in a long time.
I slept REALLY well on Friday night before the race. I went to the pre-race dinner and met a lot of old friends and a lot of new friends. There was about a dozen of us that showed up to the dinner. We sat, had some food, had a couple of drinks and traded war stories. It was really fun. After dinner I went home to do one real quick gear check and try to get a nights sleep and honestly sleep came very quickly.

I woke up Saturday morning really just ready to run. All of my stuff was in the car so I had a quick bite to eat, grabbed some coffee for the road and went on my way. Now, if you’ve read my blogs in the past, something ALWAYS happens that throws my plans for a tailspin. Whether it’s forgetting Red Bull, forgetting my iPod, mud, rain, whatever. I wasn’t going to let anything ruin this day…until I got to the downtown freeway. ACCIDENT AHEAD. ALL 4 LANES CLOSED. EXPECT DELAYS…CRAP!!! I am always early to everything and this is the exact reason. I was literally 3 miles from my exit and I was stuck in the second lane from the left in stopped traffic. To make matters worse, for me anyways, the Susan G Kommen Race for the Cure that attracts 20,000+ people was going on that day too and I am assuming half of them were coming from the same direction I was.

20 minutes later I make it to my exit. Luckily it didn’t look like anyone was too seriously injured in the accident. There was one point that I considered pulling my car to the side of the road and just running to the start line because I didn’t know how long it was going to be. But I got to the exit with 30 minutes to race time. Now, normally I would be FREAKING out at this point, but I knew that I had 24 hours to run so I could take my time. I pulled in to the parking lot, got out of my car, got my bib and checked in. I chatted with the RD for a minute or two went to my car to get my tote of stuff and BOOM, there goes my back. Total spasm. Now, I’ve dealt with spasms in the past and usually just take a day or two off from running. Not today though. I was going to be doing the longest run of my life…with back spasms.

Luckily, I was able to get all of my stuff over to my area where I was meeting with my Runner’s World Forum friends and pop some ibuprofen. Now, I DO NOT recommend taking ibuprofen or the like before and most of the time during events. There is a lot of research that shows it can hurt your kidneys during events such as this but I wasn’t going to make one step if I didn’t. I got my watch started, bottles filled table set up and I was ready to go with 5 minutes to spare. I went to “take care of some pre-race business” and got to the line right as RD Chris Zepp was saying a quick prayer. This is one of the reasons I love this race. I consider myself a pretty spiritual guy and not many races you are going to go to have a prayer before the race starts. It’s pretty cool. After some short instructions (like running in a circle needed any instructions) we were off.


For the next hour or so, I ran with a really interesting guy from Illinois. We got to talking, I told him that I used to be fat, went into a diatribe about obesity in America, my problem with processed foods and how health care sucks. Then he tells me that he is a doctor. Damn. I just insulted this guy now. He said that a lot of people actually don’t talk to him about this kind of thing because they know his field. He expressed that it was refreshing to hear someone who was passionate and honestly felt the same way he did. Phew…dodged a bullet on that one. We kept talking and he told me that he was only doing the 6-hour and then flying back home. I asked him when he got into town and he said late Friday night. In my brain I was thinking, man this guy must be loaded if he can fly in and out from the Chicago area in less than 24 hours. Then he starts talking about how the wind is going to affect him flying. Now keep in mind, we were only an hour in and my brain was actually still functioning. I finally realized, after about 10 minutes into this conversation, that HE was doing the flying. Holy Crap. A doctor and a pilot? This guy is like a women’s dream.


We kept talking for a few laps. I realized later that we were doing 8:30’s for about 10 miles and I paid no attention to my back. It was when I stopped to grab something to eat that I remembered how much pain I was in. The ibuprofen was starting to wear off and my back and chest were getting really tight. I realized at this point that I need to slow down a bit. So I threw on my headphones and just went. Nice and steady.

My buddy Andrew showed up after I had made about 7 laps. We had a great time talking it up for a couple of laps (he wasn’t doing many as he was coming back later) and he handed me off to my friend Lori around noon. I love running with Lori. She is an absolute scream and I credit her for making me faster. When we ran together more often, she was the one who pushed me. I hated her a lot of times, but she was doing it for my own good. We spent the next 1 ½ hours just running, walking and talking. My back was really starting to hurt again and breathing was quite difficult. This is the point in the race that I started the “power walking”. At one point I felt like my walk was so fast I looked like one of those competitive speed walkers. I was wearing leg warmers so my attire was almost there. It felt good to just laugh a lot with Lori. She really brightens your mood even on terrible runs.

For a break in the recap. I was eating, drinking and fueling REALLY well. I would probably venture a guess of the 5 ultras that I’ve done, this one was the best I fueled for probably the first 18 hours. It was great. I was hydrated (peeing clear), no cramping (except for my entire torso) and my legs felt great (as much as they could). I felt fantastic about it, but more to come on that later.

I was joined next by a wonderful friend Jodi. I have known Jodi my entire life. We grew up together. Our dads were on the fire department together. Her sister and I were best friends for a very long time. She is a great Christian woman, has a wonderful family and has really become a great runner in the last couple of years. At this point, I was doing a lot of walking and I felt terrible about it. I promised her a RUN when she volunteered to come run with me. I kept apologizing, but breathing hurt. I was a little over 50k in when she joined me and it was fun to remember a lot of stuff from when we were in high school. We reminisced a lot. We talked about all of the good things about school, the bad things and just life in general. It was pretty awesome.

Somewhere during the time that Jodi and I spent together, I was joined by my running club President Bobbi and her daughter. They had already been running that day but wanted to come and show their support. While we were making a lap, we came up to a guy and true to my past, I asked him how he was doing? This guy was walking in jeans and just out for a walk. I knew that he wasn’t there for the race, but I have found in many of the trail races that I’ve participated in sometimes it’s just nice to hear someone else’s voice when you are by yourself. A lot of times in races we get so focused on ourselves that we forget to notice those around us. As we passed and said hello, he asked us what we were doing. I explained that we were there for the race and Bobbi proceeded to tell him what I was there to do. When I signed up for the race and talked to the RD about the fundraiser that I wanted to do I had told him that I didn’t want to take anything away from the race itself so I wasn’t really going to tell anyone what was going on but with a news story that aired the night before and my constant posting on Facebook, that became increasingly difficult. When we explained to this gentleman that I was there doing this as a fundraiser his response was “hey is this the thing that I saw on the news last night?” Of course, this made those with me very excited to hear, but I was almost a little embarrassed. I acknowledged that it was me and he said “I was hoping I would see you here. Here, take this”, and he proceeded to hand me a $20 bill. I guess people did see the news. What a great gesture.

The term “flash mob” is one that gets thrown around a lot. You’ve got viral videos galore of flash mobs in malls, flash mobs at farmer’s markets, flash mobs in parking lots. All over the place. I’ve seen a flash mob before and it’s cool but not that cool. Unless it’s a flash mob for you.

As I dropped Jodi off, I noticed some familiar faces. My wife’s cousin, Michael and his wife Sarah, my brother-in-law, my mother-in-law and one of my running mentors, Dennis. He was all laced up and ready to run. I told him it was going to be slow and painful, but were going to make some laps. We walked over to get some food and I looked to the south and saw a big sea of yellow shirts. Honestly, I didn’t think anything of it until we got closer and there was my flash mob (no dancing was performed). That sea of yellow shirts was the Miles for Nile crew. The Morris family, the Halls’, friends that I haven’t seen in years. Just a ton of people. It was incredible. They were all there to support me. WOW.

I didn’t really want to stop for too long so I yelled out if anyone wanted to join me as I made a lap, now was the time. My back was starting to loosen up a bit, but still really tight. Dennis, Elaine, and I made our way around. Those 2 were a perfect match when it came to conversation. Same political point of view, same religious point of view, same view on guns, you name it…we talked about it in a 1.9 mile loop around a lake.

















As we came around to the drop bags, this is where my emotions kind of took over. There, standing in a sea of yellow shirts was my wife and my kids. This was crying episode number 1 of the day. I stopped for a few minutes, chatted with people, ate, got a few pictures taken and was off again. I was roughly 45 miles in at this point and it was 8 hours in. I was honestly making good time, but my back was really concerning me and the temps were starting to drop. You don’t realize how nice it is to put on some dry clothes when you spend literally 12 hours in the same sweaty clothes. It was incredibly refreshing.

Over the next few hours I had quite a few guests. Corey walked with me and was there when I hit 50 miles, Mark and Becki showed up to show their support, Sarah and Paul showed up and we literally just talked running (it was awesome) and Tyler was a savior and brought me coffee around 9:00pm. Physically I felt OK. I wasn’t in “a lot” of pain, but it was manageable. The ibuprofen had been worn off for about 6 hours by this point and I was just ticking away the miles, most of which were walking.

I went into the event and promised my wife that I would at least sleep a bit. I borrowed a small tent from Andrew but with the temps dropping like they were it was going to be almost impossible to sleep in as I was going to be restless and the ground was pretty much frozen. I laid down in the tent for around 10 minutes and then made the executive decision to just go lay down in my car. I drive an incredibly small vehicle, but I love it. I am 6’ 2” around 195lbs and I honestly didn’t know if I would be able to lay down in the vehicle but I put the back seats down, scooted the front seats forward and basically laid with my head in the trunk and my feet in between the front seats. It was insanely uncomfortable but I didn’t really care. I could at least warm up a bit. I had texted Tyler and asked him to call me at Midnight to wake me up, as I only wanted to lie down for an hour. I laid there, and laid there, and laid there and before I knew it RIIIIIING!!!! Looking back on it I probably managed 15 minutes of “sleep” but it was enough to just get me off of my feet for a little bit.

As I put my shoes back on, this was the hardest part of the race. Nearly 16 hours into this event it was going to be the first time I was “alone”. I say “alone” because there were other people that were still out on the course but with a path that is nearly 2 miles around I wasn’t going to see people very often. Of course I had my iPod but my brain couldn’t settle on anything. Audiobooks, podcasts, music, I tried everything and nothing would work. In the 17 hours that I had been on the course this was the first time that I wanted to quit.

I don’t quit on commitments. I have been involved in a lot of things over the years that haven’t gone well or I didn’t enjoy, but I can honestly say that I’ve never quit on anything. I am the type of person that knows that we as a society give up too easily. People tend to not like to continue doing something because it is too hard. Diets are hard and that’s why so many people do them and quit. Exercising is hard so people quit doing it. You name most things that are difficult and people quit before they can realize how capable they are of doing what they have started out to do.  For about an hour, I looked at this event as stupid. I wanted to quit. I wasn’t going to win so why keep going. I had honestly forgotten what this event was for. It wasn’t for me. I was doing it for something that was bigger than me. God had finally humbled me. He finally got my ego in check and reminded me that someone was counting on me.

Around 2am I got a text from my wife. She said she couldn’t sleep because she was worried about me. Of course, being the patriarch of my family, I had to reassure here that I was fine but on the inside I wasn’t. Now, don’t read this and think that something medically was wrong with me. I was just exhausted (mentally and physically), my back hurt, my feet ached, I was pretty sure one of my toenails had come off and I couldn’t get warm. She, being the voice of reason most times, reminded me to just keep eating and moving. As long as I was moving I would stay warm and that’s what I continued to do. At this point I wasn’t moving fast, I just had to keep moving. The event was just to see how far I could go, not how fast I could go.

3:00am I got a text that turned my mental state completely around, “I’m leaving the hospital right now. See you in a little bit.” Corey was on his way; I was going to have someone to talk to. Aaaaahhhhhh. Of course, even when he showed up the conversations were still somewhat negative, but at least I had someone to interact with. Running/walking in a circle that many times can turn your brain into mush. When he showed up I just told him that he needed to make me laugh and we did a lot of that, in between me throwing fits, and we just moved. Corey had to keep reminding me to move. I don’t remember many of the conversations we had, but I do remember he just kept saying, “We just have to keep going”. He kept repeating it and reminding me that the bigger goal (the fund raising) was already attained and now was on to MY goal of doing the full 24 hours.

I think Corey could sense how cold I was getting (because it hit 31° at one point) so every 2 laps we would take a 15-minute break in his warm car. In hindsight, I don’t know if this was a good or bad decision, but at the time it was GREAT. Seat warmers and warm air was the perfect combo to knock me out. I think 2 times I actually fell asleep for the entire 15 minutes. We did this for around 3 ½ hours before Mrs. Messenjah and the kiddos showed back up.

It was at this point in the event that I had a total mental breakdown. I realized somewhere along the way that with the remaining time there was no likelihood that the 100 was going to happen.  Seeing my wife and kids made me feel like a complete failure. I felt like I had let a lot of people down. It wasn’t until Lil’ Red said, “Daddy, even if you don’t hit the 100, I’ll still be proud of you” that I realized it truly didn’t matter if I hit 100 or 1 mile. I had done something that was bigger than me and I was able to help our friends.  That’s what this was about. We, as a family minus Mini Me, spent the next 30 minutes making our way around the lake and just enjoyed seeing the sun come up together.

One of the nice things about this race, if in the last hour you don’t feel like you are going to be able to make a full lap (as it is laps that count) around the lake, they set out a cone 1/8th of a mile out and you just walk back and forth. Basically 4 times of this gets you a mile. So I was once again joined by Paul and Sarah and that’s what we did. Back and forth. Back and forth. Back and forth. With this strategy, you also get to see a lot of people you may not have seen in the last 24 hours. One guy named Sylvan, who was the overall winner of the race, I hadn’t seen since around Noon even though neither one of us had really stopped for that long. He was so exhausted that, from what I heard, the last 30 miles he spent walking basically hunched over because he couldn’t stand up. Once his win was solidified, we went past him and I honestly thought he was dying on the ground. He was on his hands and knees just sitting there then all of a sudden he projectile vomited like I hadn’t seen since the pea soup incident in “The Exorcist”. It was really gross and kind of awesome at the same time.

As the clock continued to tick down, more and more people showed up to watch the finish. It took every last ounce of strength I had to fight back the tears on so many occasions.

10…9…8…7…6…5…4…3…2…1…DONE!!!! 24 hours complete. 93.03 miles done. Almost $14,000 raised. Wow! What a feeling. We stuck around for the awards ceremony and got to listen to some amazing performances. The overall winner, Sylvan, completed 95.75 actual miles and had an equalized mileage count of 154.44 miles…Did I mention that he is 72 years old? Highest overall miles went to Daniel Mattingly with 118.95 miles setting a new Equalizer record. My friend Tim came in 3rd with an incredible 106 miles. After I said some quick thank yous, and collected all of my stuff, we were off.






The last 6 hours of the race I severely mis-managed my nutrition. I was staying hydrated but I was so tired, cold and exhausted that I had almost forgotten to eat. For the last hour of the race all I could think about was eating and the Tremendous 12™ from Perkins was all I wanted. It was the meal with the most calories that I could think of and I was going to make it mine. We made our way to Perkins, I sat down and with the way my stomach felt, there was no chance of it happening. I was hungry but I was really worried about having the same reaction to food that Sylvan had just an hour before. I don’t know if you’ve ever done any sort of endurance events, but for me, as soon as I get done I go into uncontrollable fits of shaking. The waitress came over to take our order and I couldn’t keep my hands, arms or feet still. I think she thought I was on something until the girls explained what I had just gotten done doing…then she probably did think I was on something.

The rest of the day was spent sleeping, eating, sleeping, walking around, sleeping, eating and trying not to die of back spasms.

Looking back so many months later, I still find strength in the experience. Sure I didn’t get my 100-mile “debut” but I was able to accomplish a lot more than I ever dreamed I was able to. People, myself included, spend so much time looking at what other people do and thinking “there is no way I can do that.” One of the things I have always hope to accomplish with this blog, even if no one reads it, is to show others that not everything in life goes according to plan. I didn’t plan to get fat, even though I kept telling myself that I wasn’t. The Morris’ didn’t plan for their son to get sick. I didn’t plan to have back problems the day of the race. Life is full of complications but it is how you react to the unfortunate circumstances that really show how much you are able to do. As cliché as it sounds, the sky is truly the limit. How are you going to get there?

I want to thank everyone who joined me on this journey. All of the people who donated, all of the people who joined me the day of, my wife, my kids and my God. I have been blessed beyond words and I can’t begin to thank you enough.

Items used for the 2013 Equalizer Endurance Run
Brooks Pure Flow 2 - No longer in production (23 miles)
Brooks Cascadia 7 - No longer in production (43 miles)
The North Face lightweight shell

Random tights, pants, jackets sweatshirts and food

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raccoon River Valley Round FKT

THE HILLS ARE ALIVE WITH THE SOUND OF MUD SQUISHING UNDER MY FEET...My 2016 Booneville Backroads 100 Mile Race Report

29:20...My 2017 Booneville Backroads 100