HE is the reason for the Season

I am sitting here with just 3 days until one of the greatest days of the year I figured that I would write one more blog of the year as I don't know when or if I will be able to write until 2009.

As I am taking a little break from work sitting at my desk and just kind of reflecting on how great my life is, I hear two of the most annoying, selfish statements I have heard this Christmas season. "I will be really disappointed if I don't get (________)" and "What did you do about Santa?" Wow. What a shame that still 2000 years after we received the greatest gift that man will ever know someone says that they are going to be disappointed if they don't receive a certain gift and asks about Santa.

Now I am not playing some "holier than thou" kind of thing here. I know that I have said the same thing about being disappointed about not getting a particular gift, but this is a grown woman. I don't know if she knows our Lord or not. It isn't something that I want to get into with this particular person, but even if she doesn't where did the idea of "Better to give than to receive" go? Christmas is not about how many gifts we have gotten or how much someone spent on us. It should be about spending time with family and enjoying the holiday that was created for HIM.

About the Santa conundrum. A guy that I work with celebrated his Christmas with his wife and kids this past weekend and another co-worker asked what they told their kids about Santa. I about freaked out, but I bit my tongue and am writing this right now. I wish that for one year there would be no talk of Santa. I realize that Santa was created many years ago for children, but when did Santa take over for Jesus? We started a tradition last year in our household by not talking about Santa if possible. We took the girls to see Santa, but they were freaked out (It was hilarious Lil' Red wouldn't go near him). We have Santa stuff up that we have been given over the years, but we are trying to instill in our kids that Santa is a fictional character and Jesus was obviously not. We read the "Night before Christmas" just out of tradition but read the story of the virgin birth right after. We started something in our house last year too by making a birthday cake for Jesus and singing "Happy Birthday". The girls help us make the cake and then we sit down and enjoy it together as a family. What a cool way for the girls to realize why we are celebrating and that it is not about who gets more stuff.

The meaning of Christmas has been lost throughout the generations and it saddens me very deeply. It isn't about spending time with family and celebrating the birth of our Savior any more and that is disheartening. It is about how much crap we can get that we will probably end up throwing away or forgetting about in 6 months. We have all heard or read John 3:16 many times in our lives but have you ever sat down and really thought about what it really means. God loved us so much that He gave us the very first Christmas present before we were born. He gave up a little bit of Himself for every one of us. He sent His son to come to this earth, take on all of our sin so that we wouldn't have to suffer. This is the season that you should remember this. Jesus came here and died for me and you. What a powerful gift that we will never be able to repay. No matter how rich we get, no matter how many toys we buy for someone, we will NEVER be able to repay Him.

This season as we are opening up our presents and sitting down to Christmas dinner I ask that you pray for the people that are leading this country. Pray for the soldiers who aren't going to be able to spend time with their families this Christmas. Pray for the homeless people living out on the streets that haven't seen their family in years and that maybe they will feel some happiness this Holiday season. Pray for the people that are struggling with their demons and that they will be able to break the chains in the upcoming year. Pray for those suffering from depression or other afflictions that they may find some comfort knowing that by coming back to Christ he can set you free. Know that I am praying for everyone of you that may be reading this that you will find happiness and joy this CHRISTmas season.

Comments

Sockrma18 said…
TAG! You are it Brad! Check out my blog and "do 'yo thing"!

Love the video. You have such a sweet family. Count your blessings, Mr. Dains. :)
flicks said…
You are such an amazing person Brad. I miss you and your family. It's so interesting to read your blog and see where you are at in life. If only we all had the faith and strength that you have then the world would be a much better place. You are an inspiration to many including me. You guys should take a vacation sometime and visit us down here in good old Missouri! Take care of yourself and tell Shelby I say hi!
Blessings
Melinda

Popular posts from this blog

Raccoon River Valley Round FKT

THE HILLS ARE ALIVE WITH THE SOUND OF MUD SQUISHING UNDER MY FEET...My 2016 Booneville Backroads 100 Mile Race Report