Weather Sucks

So, if you know my wife, which most of you do, you know that she always likes to have projects around the house. That is just the way she is. Most of the time it really annoys me, but she is the love of my life and I have to do it for her. Anyway, we have been attempting to get our house ready to paint for nearly a month. We have the paint purchased, the house is sanded (yes I sanded the entire house using an orbital sander and yes it sucked), the windows and seems caulked, etc but the stupid freaking weather will not cooperate. UGH!!!! Why can't we just have a couple of nice days with little humidity where there is no chance of rain and it can even be 90 degrees as long as the other things fall in line. We have just spent a lot of time in the preparation that I would hate to see us do it and have something go wrong.

The weather has been really weird lately. From the tornadoes, the floods, air so thick you could swim through it and scorching temps. Oh well. Weather is one of the things in life that I can not control. Yes that's right, I can't control the weather.

The running has not been going that great lately. I didn't put anything about it last week, but I had a NASTY case of heat exhaustion/stroke. I went out with my group for a run called the "Coin Run." It sounds fun, but on the contrary. It is one of the worst runs I have ever done. It winds through DM through some very fancy, aka expensive, houses. It is an extremely hilly route, which I should probably get used to if I want to run Western States at some point in my life, but at this point it sucks. We were about 3 miles into the 7 mile course when I started to get really hot. This was to be expected since it was 85+ with 90% humidity and no wind movement. I told the group to go on and I would catch up. That's really not uncommon because I do like to take walk breaks to give myself some time to catch my breath. So on they went and I started to get really dizzy and chilly. Seems weird considering the conditions, but it was too real. As gross as this sounds, I also stopped sweating and producing snot. Because of this I knew that I was in trouble. I decided that I probably shouldn't run anymore and took every opportunity to squirt some of my water on my head to try and cool myself down, but nothing was working. I was running very low on water when I hit the 4 mile mark. I stopped walking and threw up a little. Not anything huge, but still puke nontheless. After I puked I thought that maybe I was ok. Boy, was I wrong. I kept walking to be able to get back to work when I leaned up against a tree and momentarily blacked out. I knew now that all I had to do was make it back to work, shower and that I would go home. 3 miles and about an hour later I finally made it back to work. Told my manager that I was leaving and caught an emergency shuttle home.

Now, I don't typically take naps but that day I had to. I drank probably 100 oz of water along with 64 oz of Gatorade and finally started to get the headache. I finally knew that I was going to be ok. Even though I knew that I would be ok, it was totally scary for a little while.

I decided to take a week off and had a good run yesterday. We got about 7 miles in and I actually felt really good. So the moral of the story is that I need to take more water when going on long hot runs. Noted.

Stay Strong, Run Long (and safe)
Tha Messenjah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raccoon River Valley Round FKT

THE HILLS ARE ALIVE WITH THE SOUND OF MUD SQUISHING UNDER MY FEET...My 2016 Booneville Backroads 100 Mile Race Report

29:20...My 2017 Booneville Backroads 100