2016 Year in Review...from my perspective


Running/racing in 2016 for me was a majorly great year. I've said many times, running doesn't define who I am. I am a husband first, a dad second, a friend third and lastly a runner. I wear a lot of hats and running is a vehicle I use to define where my passion and zeal for life come from. I've been blessed with a very full life and one that I wouldn't trade for the world. Running gave me my life back when the world tried to steal it away from me over 12 years ago. Running is my hobby, it's my sport, it's my stress reliever, it's my way to meet people and it's a social outlet for me that keeps me out of situations I don't want to be in. My family is my galaxy, running is my world.

2016 started out really great with a trip to Texas to run the Rocky Raccoon 100 miler and get my first Western States qualifier and a 26:55 finish. It wasn't the result I was hoping for, but a memory that I will always cherish as my first official trail 100 mile finish.

The rest of February a really good recovery. I was really surprised at how quickly my legs came back from Rocky. I decided early in my recovery that once I felt "back" I would try some different exercises to actually use as cross training. This worked really well for a few months and had me putting up some mile splits like I had never run before.

With new emphasis on cross training I attempted to "swim" during the first part of the year. I'll be honest that I enjoy swimming but am REALLY terrible at it. It's a great workout but not one that I kept up with after 2 months or so.

In April, I was given an opportunity at my work to receive a free entry into the Grand Blue Mile. As someone who runs thousands of miles per year, this one mile race scared the ever loving hell out of me. I had NEVER raced a mile before. I would cut corners in our track & field warm ups in 8th grade and was a shot put/disc thrower for a reason. I is sloooooooooooooow. On this day in April though, I surprised everyone, including myself, and threw down a 5:22 mile. It was fast........and hurt like hell.

In May, I was fortunate enough to get to run the Booneville Backroads 100 Mile. This was my 2nd time running this race and I must say that it continues to get better and better every year. The rain and mud again threw me for a loop, but with the help of my amazing crew and pacers I was able to knock almost 2 hours off of my previous time. I have them to thank and praise for helping me to get through.

Because of what went down at Booneville, I received a great email from Eric at UltraRunnerPodcast.com to come on the show and talk about me and the race. This podcast is my absolute favorite and a great source of information for me with every interview. The interview with Eric and Ethan was so much fun and one of the biggest highlights of my running career.

June also brought my second opportunity to race with my oldest daughter at the Dam to Dam 5k. Being a week after Booneville I was nervous/scared at how my body would respond. Normally, after 100 milers, I take 10 days off or so. This was 6 days after I finished but the amazing chance I got to run with my daughter for her 2nd race outweighed the physical pain that I was in.

July/August brought the heat and tempered a lot of my runs to the treadmill. I was fortunate enough to get a couple of 20-30 mile runs in, but the long training cycle really began to take it's toll on my health. I spent a lot of the late summer really bummed out not feeling like running. It took a huge toll on my motivation and my weight and sleep took at hit.

September brought the birth of my 4th child. What an amazing experience to be blessed with another child and God brought me a son. It was such an amazing time and I found myself not wanting to leave him. I was once again getting out in the very early mornings and I could feel motivation and drive coming back so, on a whim, signed up for the Equalizer Endurance Run.

Historically, I have always gone into a race with the mentality that I will NEVER drop down to a different distance or time frame. I kept that streak alive at the Equalizer, but the late nights and no sleep of having a 3 week old took it's toll on me and for the first time in 4 years, I did not complete the whole 24 hour round and round trip around Gray's Lake. I mustered up a 13 hour and change 100k and literally called off runs longer than 10 miles for nearly a month. I was physically and mentally exhausted.

I finally got the guts to race again at one of my favorite races in the state in November. Early part of November brought the RCC Run The Woods. It's been over 6 years since the last time I've run this race and the place where I first cut my teeth on trail running/racing. It's a wonderfully terrible course that showed my legs what it's like to run fast on a super hilly and technical 4 mile race. It's an amazing race and so happy that I got to participate again.

I was also taken to the Living History Farms race in November which was my "first official" running of the race and an experience like no other. 4,000 people on a 7 mile course that takes you through fields, down ravines, through creeks, scrambling up hills with ropes all while wearing cut off jean shorts and a flannel (as a costume) to run a sub 58:00 finish was an awesome experience. Although there were sections that I was walking the hills, I took this race as an experience race and not one that I was too incredibly concerned on time. Fun race.

December brought the Sycamore 8 Trail Run again which I have been the race director for 5 consecutive years. I love this race so much and have had so much fun experiencing what it's like to manage a growing race and allowing people to see a side of the Des Moines area that they may have never ventured to. This race has become what RCC was to me in being a starting place for people jumping on the trails for the first time. Taking over the race in 2011 as a 30 person race to 230 in 2016 has been such an honor to be a part of.

2016 definitely had it's ups and downs in my life. There were so many great experiences that I was able to enjoy during races and saw one of the lowest motivation periods of my running life. I will never stop being grateful for this body that I've been given. God has given me so much from my family and friends to being able to compete in this wild and weird sport called Ultra Running. I've been blessed in 2016 to meet some amazing people and can't wait for what 2017 has to offer.

I'd like to take this time to thank and recognize the brands that I have been affiliated with in 2016.
UVU Racing - Thank you so much for having the faith in me for the past 3 years. The gear that you make is the best I've ever used. I can't wait for our future together in creating gear for everyones extreme adventures
Nuun Hydration - Thank you for allowing me to be a #nuunbassador for these past 2 years. I love the direction in which the company is going in providing the best electrolyte drinks on the market
Fitness Sports - Thank you for the service you have done for the running community for over 30 years.

1178 miles - Strava miles
900ish miles - Treadmill (not counted on Strava). I'm terrible at recording these, but did some quick calculations :)

I hope you all have a safe and joyous New Years celebration. We'll see you in 2017!!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raccoon River Valley Round FKT

THE HILLS ARE ALIVE WITH THE SOUND OF MUD SQUISHING UNDER MY FEET...My 2016 Booneville Backroads 100 Mile Race Report

29:20...My 2017 Booneville Backroads 100