Reality Check. We are slowly killing ourselves.

So I am fully prepared for the backlash that I'm about to get by the following commentary but I've gotten to the point that I can't take it anymore. I know that I am going to make a lot of people mad/uncomfortable with my next statement, but that just means that the conversation is working.

We are ridiculously fat.

There...I said it. Like it or not. Agree with it or not. I am done sitting on the sidelines with my opinion about it. If the statement makes you mad or uncomfortable....look what is in your refrigerator or cupboards. Examine your life. Examine the lives of your children.

You may be asking yourself where this all of a sudden came from. Well, let me explain. 8 years ago this month, I made a commitment to not be fat anymore. I know that some of you have read or heard my story numerous times but 8 years later I am still on a crusade. Now, don't think that I am preaching on the fact that I am the healthiest person of all time. I am an addict. My addiction is not like most others. I truly have an incurable addiction to food. You may think that it's crazy that someone could have an addiction to food, but if you look at the "typical American" we are all addicted to quantity and processed food. Think that I'm being melodramatic? Just take a look at the Iowa State Fair for example.

This is the page for the "Food on a Stick" page. Keep in mind that this only highlights the top 50 items. That's right, there are more than 50 foods on a stick being offered this year. Each one trying to outdo the last year. With that said some of the items are healthy options (fruit, hard boiled eggs, natural honey) but most are artery cloggers. 
http://www.iowastatefair.org/fair-attractions/food/on-a-stick/

Now compare it to the items that are offered as part of the "Healthy Choices". There are 17....17 healthy options being offered at one of the premier events in the state that is trying to be the "Healthiest State in the Nation". I don't get that logic.
http://www.iowastatefair.org/fair-attractions/food/healthy-choices/

These are honestly only two of the highlights of the food options be offered. This doesn't even touch the fried cheese curds, grinders, mammoth turkey legs, nachos, etc that are being sold as well. There are children in this world that are barely living on a cup of boiled rice every single day. There are tens of thousands of people in prisons all throughout the world that are there because they are trying to feed their families, yet we make our annual pilgrimage to the fair to overindulge in Double Bacon Corn Dogs and deep fried Twinkies.

Something that set me off this morning was walking in to pay for my gas. Inside there was a woman, mid-40's, with a girl that could have been 8 or 9 years old (I couldn't quite tell due to the little girls size). In the little girls hands was a Mt. Dew, a sleeve of powdered doughnuts and a bag of Doritos. Mom, also incredibly overweight, walks out with 2 slices of breakfast pizza, Mt. Dew and a carton of cigarettes. She walks out of the store and gets into her Escalade in the handicapped parking spot. I get the fact that some people sincerely have incurable diseases and require the handicapped parking. I get it. I know a lot of people that have been handed diseases that are not brought on by any lifestyle choices. But think about the "nutrition" that just walked out of that store. I have no idea of this particular woman's circumstances in life. She may have a disease that prevents her from being able to move without pain or discomfort. I have no idea, but based solely on what she walked out with, I am led to believe it may in fact be self-inflicted. Let me explain to you the "nutrition" that walked out of that gas station this morning:

Little Debbie Mini Powdered Doughnuts
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 package (6 mini donuts 71g)
Amount per Serving
Calories 310
Calories from Fat 144.0
Total Fat 16g
24% of Daily intake
Saturated Fat 7g
35% of Daily intake
Cholesterol 15mg
5% of Daily intake
Sodium 280mg
11% of Daily intake
Total Carbohydrate 39g
13% of Daily intake
Dietary Fiber 1g
4% of Daily intake
Sugars 19g
Protein 3g
6% of Daily intake
Mt. Dew (20 oz bottle) 
Nutrition Facts 
Serving Size: 2.5
Amount per Serving
Calories 110
Calories from Fat 0.0
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 0g .
0% of Daily intake
Saturated Fat 0g
0% of Daily intake
Cholesterol 0mg
0% of Daily intake
Sodium 50mg
2% of Daily intake
Total Carbohydrate 31g
10% of Daily intake
Dietary Fiber 0g
0% of Daily intake
Sugars 31g
Protein 0g
Carbs 100% of Daily intake

This is just for the little girl and not even including the Doritos. That is almost 600 calories, 16g of fat, 7g of saturated fat, 405g of sodium, and an insane 96g of SUGAR!!!! What are you doing to your daughter. It's no wonder juvenile diabetes in skyrocketing. A report that I've read, states that of new juvenile diabetes cases that are diagnosed, nearly 45% are from non-immune mediated diabetes (type 2). That means that 1 out of every 2 children/adolescents every year to be diagnosed with diabetes has a PREVENTABLE diagnosis with better nutrition and exercise. 

Healthcare is one of the top 3 or 4 topics of this years presidential race. People are complaining about the increasing cost of healthcare and want relief. The majority of illnesses that people are being treated for are directly linked to obesity. High blood pressure, heart attack, sleep apnea, and some forms of cancer are a direct correlation to our poor diet and lack of exercise . Many people feel that the government should provide us with healthcare and I disagree with every fiber of my being. The government does not need to provide us with healthcare, they need to provide us with incentives for being healthy and provide incentives to small to large businesses and farmers that are producing good, quality, non-processed, hormone-free and chemical free food. Food that doesn't contain "High Fructose Corn Syrup". Food that doesn't contain "Partially" or "Fully Hydrogenated" anything. Food that you can pronounce the ingredients. Food that can't sit on a counter for days without rotting. Food that's not made in a lab.

I'm not writing this blog as a medical expert. I have no specific training in regards to nutrition or medicine. What I am an expert in is being fat. For 24 years of my life I was fat. I could throw down 25 pancakes without really trying, I ate 8000 calories at the state fair and I could eat an entire large pizza by myself without thinking anything was wrong. I still struggle with an addiction to over-eating every single day of my life. I have to keep in check at all times. It has been a struggle for my entire life and I assume will be for the rest of my life as well.

Food should be viewed as a fuel source for movement. If you are reading this blog, you know that I am a runner. That is my exercise of choice. I love it. I crave the next time I lace up my shoes. But running is not for everyone. Some people enjoy walking. Some people enjoy Zumba, Boot camps, water aerobics, elliptical or biking. It really doesn't matter what you are doing as long as you are doing something. Our bodies were made to move. Not to sit at a computer (insert irony here) or in front of a TV. Exercise doesn't have to be a difficult task, but most people think of exercising as more "Work" and less "Workout". Think you don't have time to exercise? Take a look at this. Nielson reports that in 2011 the average American watched 5 hours of TV every single day. I realize that this a law of averages. Some people are going to watch more and some people are going to watch less, but I can honestly tell you that I may watch 1.5-2 hours of TV per day. That number may go up slightly during the weekends or during Football season. Most of the time that I sit in front of the TV comes after I have finished working out for the day. Now if you sit down and figure it out, here is a breakdown of the average day:

7 hours sleeping = 17 hours remaining in the day
8 hours working = 9 hours remaining in the day
1 hour commuting to/from work = 8 hours remaining in the day
1 hour preparing for work or to go to bed = 7 hours remaining in the day
2 hours helping children with homework or housework = 
5 hours remaining in the day and this is what Nielson has calculated that we spend watching TV

Now, of course this is a rough example and your own schedule and could vary significantly. This is just meant as an example. Let me ask the question again, Think you don't have time to exercise?

This blog post is probably going to make a lot of people mad. I understand that. But honestly, don't get mad at me. I am just pointing out things for you to consider when you reach for that bag of Doritos or TV remote.

Stay Strong, Run Long,
Tha Messenjah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raccoon River Valley Round FKT

THE HILLS ARE ALIVE WITH THE SOUND OF MUD SQUISHING UNDER MY FEET...My 2016 Booneville Backroads 100 Mile Race Report

29:20...My 2017 Booneville Backroads 100