Hydration

So I was out on my run last night and got to thinking...maybe that's why my head hurts so much today....but I digress...about why so many people try to start running and quit. I think I have found the reason and it has to do with hydration and what I am calling the "I can't do this Gene" (patent pending).

If you have ever run with me or seen me running you will know that I am ALWAYS carrying water with me. I ran a disastrous race at the 2007 Chicago Marathon due to the lack of water, sports drinks and cups. That's right...cups. Ever since then I am never without one of my handhelds or my hydration pack. It's probably mental, but I think it's a safety thing. It really doesn't matter the distance or the temperature.
  • 3-6 miles = 1 handheld bottle.
  • 6-10 miles = 2 handhelds.
  • 10-15 = Camelbak.
  • 15-30 = Camelbak + 1 (or 2) handheld(s) with sports drink.
It doesn't matter the distance. I think though the direct correlation between hydration and the "I can't do this Gene" is one that is over-looked. I've found that if I don't drink at least 2 of my Klean Kanteens everyday along with my coffee my training seriously suffers. I find myself getting mentally and physically exhausted earlier and I think that is one reason why people quit or don't do long distance running. People are dehydrated.

Take a look around your office, mine included, how many people drink the recommended ounces of water a day? I'm not talking liquid, I'm talking WATER. I've heard so many people say "I drink ____ cups of coffee a day" or "I drink ____ pops every day" or "I drink plenty of water with Crystal Lite". But why are so many people afraid to drink something that encompasses 70% of the earths surface and people in other countries have to walk endless miles for?

I think most Americans say "It's a taste thing" and that is why flavored water and water additives are so popular. But also look at the people that don't drink water. Most are not willing to exercise or quit when it gets too difficult. Don't believe me? Read this.

Here is my challenge to you. Give up the pop (or soda depending on what part of the country you are from), water with additives, energy drinks or "fancy coffees" for 2 weeks and replace with water and exercise. Try and drink at least eight 8 oz glasses of water (either bottled or tap) with nothing added every day. If you need it, drink some black coffee (it has zero calories and will give you the pep of the other beverages) and see how your exercises, health, mental awareness and energy improve. You can thank me later.

Stay Strong, Run Long,
Tha Messenjah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raccoon River Valley Round FKT

THE HILLS ARE ALIVE WITH THE SOUND OF MUD SQUISHING UNDER MY FEET...My 2016 Booneville Backroads 100 Mile Race Report

29:20...My 2017 Booneville Backroads 100