The power of prayer

So due to some, what is being called "gentle prodding" (thanks Becky), I am writing a new blog entry. I haven't written anything lately because honestly I don't have much to talk about. Life is really good. I took on a new role at work. I am now on a committee that I have been wanting to get on for quite some time and home life is rolling right along.

If I have one thing to talk about it really is the power of prayer. We here stories all of the time about how people have been affected by the power of prayer. I can honestly say, before I was "born-again" I didn't really believe it. I would do it just when I needed something. Most of the time it was prayers like "...please let me pass this class..." or "...please let me get this job..." but that really isn't what prayer should be about. I am reading a book that most consider the next book in line with the Bible called Purpose Driven Life and it talks about how this life is not about us. It is about God. We should focus our attention on the one who created us in order to live a full, purposeful life. It got me to thinking how selfish prayer can be sometimes and how we should not always make our prayers about us.

A couple of weeks ago a very good friend of my family found out that her daughter, who is the same age as Lil' Red, had cancer. I felt horrible for her and the family. These are good people that have really struggled through a lot of things in their lives. The mom found out that her daughter was going to go into surgery within 48 hours to remove the tumor that was behind her heart. I felt mortified because this little girl has played with my little one on numerous occassions. I have known the mom for my entire life and I wanted to do something, but not knowing what to do I started a prayer chain for her on Facebook. I thought that if I made people aware of it she would find some comfort in other peoples support and what better place than one of the worlds largest social networking sites.

I sent invites to everyone in my "friends" list that might know her and just asked for everyone to pray for this little girl. I thought that it may get a few dozen people to join and really didn't expect much. I just wanted the family to know that there were people supporting them that they may not speak to everyday. At last check there were 212 people joined on this group that are collectively praying for her. There are great messages from people across the country that know this family one way or another that are posting their support for this 3 year old to get better. The mom continues to give updates everyday on where the treatment is and just last night they got great news that all tests have come back negative, which means that she will avoid chemo but still have to undergo tests for probably the next 5 years or so.

Now the non-followers are going to look at this as marvels of modern medicine, but if you look at the chain of events things did not really take a positive turn until the outpouring of support and people saying "I included you in my prayers tonight" started flowing in. Coincidence? I think not. Gods power and majesty is ever inspiring and amazing.

Sometimes we spend too much of our time in prayer on the things in our lives that are going to make us "happy", but what we should be really praying for are things that are going to make the world better. I am reminded of one of my favorite prayers that comes out of the Old Testament. It is in 1 Kings (I think) when God says to Solomon flat out, "Ask for anything and I will give it to you" Wow!!! What question for the creator of the universe to ask. Instead of asking for things like gold, silver, a new house, a new chariot, a new iPod (hint to people looking for Christmas gifts) he asked for strength, wisdom and the ability to lead his people. Wow again!!! What an answer. After that God provided. I have begun to take that philosophy with my prayers as of late. I have been asking God to give me the things that I need to lead at home, at work and in the community and He has been providing abundantly. I feel more strong in relationships, I feel wise when giving an answer to a question at work and I feel confident in the way I am living my life.

Now, don't get me wrong. Not all of our prayers are going to be answered in the time that we want or ever. Somethings just aren't in the cards and God is going to use your time and talents in the best ways. If you think that job is the thing that you need to feel success in your life, but it may put you in a bad position to manage your personal life, God may not give it to you. Just know that no matter what you ask for God is listening.

Spend your time in prayer every day. Just make sure that you are praying for the right things. Pray for family, pray for friends, pray for stable marriages, pray for humanity, pray for wisdom, pray for strength, pray for courage. If you are new to a spiritual relationship with Christ that is what you should spend your time praying for. If you are a "more experienced" follower, if you are finding that your prayers are not being answered, take some time to examine what you are praying for. If you spend some time praying for others, you may be surprised at God's response.

Comments

Sockrma18 said…
Told ya! Told ya! Told ya told ya told ya! :) My evil plan to get you to blog again worked. wahahaha {evil laugh}.

You have much to share and much to contribute, Brad. Keep at it. God has given you some good stuff and if you don't "break the pot and let the light shine" (see story of Gideon and the Midianites - Judges 6, I think), it won't benefit the rest of us! :)

What color would you like your chariot? Putting in the call to the chariot dealer now....:)
ThaMessenjah said…
I would like a black chariot to match the new 32G iPod touch you are going to buy me :)
Brad, I know you're going to be jealous, but I am leaving this response on the 8gb iPod touch Beth gave me as my early Xmas present. Not gonna lie... It is the bomb! Good post and I'll call you tommorrow.... I have some good news about our charity run.
Drewski

Popular posts from this blog

Raccoon River Valley Round FKT

THE HILLS ARE ALIVE WITH THE SOUND OF MUD SQUISHING UNDER MY FEET...My 2016 Booneville Backroads 100 Mile Race Report

29:20...My 2017 Booneville Backroads 100